27A: Reading Reflection #3

1) The third book I read was Nike founder Phil Knight's autobiography, "Shoe Dog."

I think the thing that surprised me most about Knight's journey was the fact that in the beginning, he was constantly fighting debt in his attempts to bring Blue Ribbon, and then Nike, to reality. He worked tooth and nail to find more investors and loaners to keep the family going. The thing I admired most about Knight was that from the beginning of the book, he explains the prototypical path that an entrepreneur is supposed to go through. This person is uncannily smart, coy, strategic. But Knight was, from his perspective, none of those things. He assures the person that every entrepreneur has their own individual path that will likely be totally different from society's expectations. There was nothing about him from the book that I did not admire. However, we've all heard the rumors of Nike using children in sweatshops in the past, and I do look at him less admirably with that in mind.

2) What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited?
His constant perseverance was definitely noteworthy. He found that Japanese cameras were cheaper and of higher quality than their more popular German counterparts, and he saw that the same thing could be said about sneakers. He knew this would work, and he kept trying until it did.


3) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
Nothing in the book was really confusing to me.


4) If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?
- If you had to go back and change one thing about how you ran your business in the beginning, would you and what would you change?
- Who was your inspiration or mentor growing up?


5) For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?
Knight is definitely one of the hardest workers I have read about. He had unparalleled perseverance and gumption, and is the sole reason why Nike is what it is today.

Comments

  1. I did not read this book but your interpretation makes me wish I did. I love reading about hard workers that really make it. I think his story of success would be very inspirational. I am tempted to keep our reading list and work through it this summer. I think a lot of the books give us some great insight to those entrepreneurs struggles and successes. I think the entire book list gives us a lot of information and great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fede,
    I agree that perseverance is indeed noteworthy, continuing to work to where he wanted to get. It is concerning that nike uses children in sweatshops and I find it interesting that that topic was not at all addressed in the book. I too would be interested in knowing who his mentor is as I believe this would give some really good insight on his motives and core values.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also did not read this book but may after reading your post. I think that it is fascinating that a company as big as Nike struggled in the beginning. There are similarities to Elon Musk’s journey to success. I too didn’t find much un-admirable about the entrepreneur I read about, but I do agree using child labor certainly qualifies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't read this book, but after your post, I might. I believe that perseverance (but with a realistic viewpoint that ensures your not wasting your and others time) is one of the most important qualities in people. Nearly every successful person, whether they be entrepreneurs, scientists, inventors, heros or anybody else who's life and contributions will survive long past they do, did not get to where they were without perseverance. Great write up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24A: Concept

25A: What's Next?

8A: Solving The Problem